Monday, September 19, 2005

Mexicana

Friday night saw me double-booked for dinner. One was my gran and so super early, and the other was Waynne and Jean at the Fat Cactus. I went to my gran, and she stuffed us as usual. My prediction of Spag Bol did not come to pass, as she instead just fed us Woolworths chicken pies. Very yummy, with chicken gravy and some veg and whatnot, followed by pecan nut pie, canned fruit and custard-in-a-box. Then I headed off to the Fat Cactus, not even late. Shame, grannies have bedtimes yoo, y'know ;) The food there was awesome. It was a set menu, and Jean said she would be extremely disappointed if I didn't eat, so I took one for the team. Well, for Jean. Not that I regretted it =) Stuffed to the max, and a little beyond, but it was so damn delicious. Jo Legutko was there, and it was very cool to see her again despite not getting much time to chat or catch up (we were on opposite ends of the table, and the place was a bit loud anyway). She invited me to dinner on Tuesday along with Julie and Candice, which is very convenient since Alex has just cancelled the game in lieu of tests and whatnot. Bah, tests!

Saturday night was mexican again, seems like there's a bit of a theme going on. Chelle invited Schpat, Yancke and myself around for dinner and zombie movies in preparation of Patrick's zombie party, costume ideas and all that. I hadn't seen either of the movies we watched, so that was all good. The production quality on the remake was obviously much higher, but the sheer cool of the mall-camping one was overriding. They should remake that one next (if they haven't already, what do I know). Afterwards Patrick and Alex and I hung around outside and chatted for ages, as is our wont, and we got to the topic of where I was gonna stay. They both expressed horror at the amount Roo would charge me, and said that they wouldn't charge that much to help a friend out. But that's the point, really. Roo's renting his room out primarily, and helping a friend out second. I have no problem with this, since it is a fair price for the room. Alex said I should ask Chelle if I could camp out in their spare room for 2 months, but I'd really rather not put people out. Roo's is excellently positioned (I'd walk to town and get both exercise and save money), and he has DSL. Oh, the sweet sweet siren call of always-on internet. DSTV is of no interest to me, of course, since I hardly watch any TV, and it really does pale in comparison to the entertainment to be found online. Of all kinds.

On Sunday Colleen and I went through to Cavendish to go bag shopping. This was for Colleen primarily, since she hated her then-bag's strap, but I ended up picking up a cool new bag for myself, since my old conference bag is looking way the worse for wear. It's a cool canvas bag with a couple of pockets on the front with magnetic clasps. Much better than velcro, which goes all manky after a while. Later on we discovered that one of the zips on Colleen's bag is broken, and she doesn't really have all that much time available to take it back or whatever. Look's like I'll be doing that next weekend sometime, while she's at Genadendal for the SCA meet. In between the Ravnica prerelease and the LAN Al was looking at organising. Sure... Oo, Ravnica! So tasty, with its dualland replacements. And it's all eastern european flavoured. It's the new Magic expansion, for those that don't know me or didn't work that out ;)

After that I stopped by at Yancke's place to see what he was up to. Predictably he was still asleep (he had lanned the night before, apparently it was all assey, I mean, Counterstrikey). We went through to Die Kasteel to watch Dave lay down some Chaos smackdown. He came somewhere in the top 10. Very funny thing I noticed at the sign-in form at the military checkpoint was someone (not Dave) who filled in the 'Company' column (it was a military checkpoint, after all) with 'Chaos'. I had a good chuckle at that =)

Afterwards we came back to my place to do some Winston drafting with my old Onslaught / Legions / Scourge cards, and I got pwnt horribly both times. Good times. While this was going on, Waynne and Jim were online and signing up for MTGO accounts, so hopefully I can get some online games in against them =) Since Waynne never ever comes to any paper magic evenings, and I've pretty much stopped inviting him now. Hell, stopped having them, largely, other than spur of the moment drafts.

Today has been a very uneventful day at work. I went to the bank and Woolworths to change my addresses to my parents address, but the bank has other ideas. FICA policy and all. Y'see, I can't get my address changed without proof of residence, and I can't get proof of residence without staying there. So, sucks to be anyone moving out of some place before the end of the month, you will miss one correspondence. Good thing I couldn't care less about it, but irritating nonetheless. Woolworths of course is unburdened by such asinine considerations, and was a breeze.

All the bits for Colleen's new PC have arrived at work today, so we shall be assembling them this evening. Coolness =) Plus, Colleen will be coming to fetch me, so yay lift home! I don't think an entire PC worth of components would survive a taxi ride home, nope nope. Hmmm, LCD...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun fact:

Ravnica means 'plain' in a couple of Slavic languages. (Plain as in a flat piece of land, not as in boring), so if it includes any mountain cards, you should complain :)

9:02 am  
Blogger zenstar said...

was gonna add a comment about "they have remade dawn of the dead" but i guess i'm just too slow...
the remake had some really cool scenes in it.
now all you haven't seen is day of the dead (and land of the dead of course)

10:26 am  
Blogger Synkronos said...

Yeah, Ravnica has a very very eastern european flavour. The clans being introduced in the set are the Golgari, Boros, Selesnya and Dimir. All of which mean something, or are tweaks on some real words, or whatnot. I think it's pretty cool =)

Eh... yeah, the mall one, right ;) I, uh, knew that.

11:18 am  
Blogger Adam Fisher / fisher king said...

don't dis cs! the difference is made by the players, the game itself kiXX0rs ass.

w-v: Zebra Young Radically Grow Qualms

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home