Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Well it sounds plausible...

Haha, I got my wish last night and there was no roleplaying to be seen within 100 yards of our 'roleplaying' venue. What did happen was a lot of debating, discussing and arguing, most of which was a lot of fun. A lot of time was spend explaining Energy/Force to Schapt in light of his Poopsicle SchpatDope post, and then he whipped out a printout of a webpage of some dude trying to disprove the EK = 1/2mv^2 formula for kinetic energy. Chelle and I were both skeptical, but had a look anyway. We found a hell of a lot of stuff wrong with his work, and that was only in the preliminary, where he was talking about open systems as if they were closed systems and nonlinear systems as though they were linear. The real Coop de Gracey for me was when he started talking about conservation of momentum and energy across two different systems. My mind boggles. The problem was that Patrick, who didn't know any better, assumed that this was the correct usage of the term. Even after I told him it was incorrect, he still kept using it like that. 'Patrick, that's not right.' 'Yes yes, I know, but you know what I mean.' 'That's not the point, Patrick. The more you say it to yourself, the more convinced you will become that it is correct.' Gah, I could feel the misinformation spreading as I sat there and watched.

Anyway, I think it's all sorted out now. I hope ;) And now, it is time to go home, and then to dinner with my parents.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Schreiber said...

I would ask for advice prior to posts, but then there'd be no one left to read the posts.

join the mailing list

10:08 am  
Blogger zenstar said...

humph!
i mentioned the k=1/2mv^2 thing and everyone was all like "no! thats the wrong thing!"
now everyone is using it like it were the new orange...
i was born before my time!
(and it was the only science equation i remember from highschool)

10:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home