Friday, September 02, 2005

Violence

Connor the druid and his bear Baldur were introduced to the group last night. Sarcastic motherfuckers is what they are ;) It was a fairly disruptive session, reminding me a lot of Alex's Tuesday game, and Al was getting rather upset. Also, it's the first time I've heard a group complaining about getting too much loot. There are a lot of +2 weapons and armour lying around, and a fair amount of magic items, some +3 amongst them. Ah! And I must submit my Faerie Fire / Fog Cloud question to Ask Zenstar.

After roleplaying, Alex, Schpat and I stood outside in the rain for ages discussing MMOs. I feel that a lot of Schpat's views about the communities in various of them stem from not having spent much (and certainly not enough) time in one. Admittedly I only know KoL personally, but I have been there for over a year now and have read a lot of things about various online communties and the way they work. For example, Penny Arcade and PvP are having a massive war on the DarkIron server in WoW. When they started it was basically a brand new server, then PA and PvP put out calls for fans to join the server on either the Alliance side for PA or the Horde side for PvP. Needless to say, thousands and thousands of fans did just that, to the point where there are several clans for each faction and the server is now one of the busiest. Regularly the two factions have massive run-ins as reported here, here, here and here, as well as loads of other posts if you're willing to sift through the archives some more. They seem to be having massive amounts of fun, with Gabe receiving loads of emails along the lines of "playing in a PA guild and battling the [PvP guild] Pandas has reignited [my] love of the game". I'm a PA reader, which is why all these links are to PA posts btw. Basically what I'm saying is that the community of a game is what you make of it, and your group of friends can be as large or small as you want to make it. Patrick was talking about how it would be nice if an MMO only had about 1000 or so people on it, so that you could know everyone.

What the fuck is up with New Orleans? I know people are desperate, but jesus people. Apparently the looting and rioting is so bad that the National Guard who already have the place under Martial Law are shooting to kill now. To kill. I heard this morning from a friend of mine in Ohio, which is a couple of states over, that there has been a fair amount of rape and attempted rape reported. Sorry, I don't give a fuck how desperate you are, rape is not on the list of things you need. There is no excuse for that. And that's supposedly a civilised nation.

I overheard some taxi drivers today talking about pirate taxis, obviously referring to unlicensed taxis (unlicensed for the route rather than necessarily an unlicensed vehicle). It conjured images of a taxi with all sorts of weird spikes drawing alongside another little taxi trying to desperately outrun it, followed by a boarding attempt and theft of the passengers. Funny =) On a related note, a few of the new larger taxis are starting to show up at the Cape Town rank. Good, I hope it catches on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Schreiber said...

Good to have you aboard, and nice to know the bear finally has a name.

the pandas as a name for the pvp guild is pretty cool. I'd love to spent loads of time on MMO, but lack all three of bandwidth, local servers and time. Maybe when I retire I'll be able to start.

9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home