Thursday, November 03, 2005

What's with these homies dissing my girl

It seems that I am falling back into my accustomed update pattern; to whit, hardly ever updating. However, this more or less reflects the excitement level of my life at the moment. I'm playing a lot of Dungeon Siege 2 and not a lot else, what with Moonflake being in NY and all of my roleplaying games thus currently on hold.

Dungeon Siege 2 is fantastically suited to me. So many aspects of the gameplay appeal to me, where they might not to other less collection-orientated people. Getting sets is fairly easy (but not trivially so), and a lot of fun. I have found the game to be pretty easy, although that might be due to a lucky build choice for my various characters. I am therefore playing with further constraints, those constraints being 'what I feel like doing' (rather than me usual 'what is most optimal'). To this end, my fighter uses two-handed weapons exclusively (although the skill tree encourages you to choose either 1 or 2 handedness, not both, with 1 handed eventually upgrading to dual-wield). My ranger uses crossbows exclusively despite bows being a perfectly valid pick for her. And I will always wear set items, until a better set comes along and replaces my old one. Playing like this is a lot more fun (and less effort) than playing optimally, and I'm still not having much trouble. We'll see how it goes when I complete the game in normal, and try again on Veteran (the Nightmare-equivalent difficulty setting). I am hoping that they let you carry your party over, and that you just need to do all the quests again, otherwise I will uninstall the game and never look at it again. The ability to have a 5th party member is not worth levelling everyone up from scratch again.

Last weekend I housesat Helen and Richard's place in Little Mowbray. It was quite a blasts having the place to myself (it's very nice) and the use of Richard's car. I made good use of this and picked up Waynne and my Magic cards from Outers, and Waynne came over to play for a bit on Saturday. It turns out that one of my brother's friends lives directly opposite, so I had a bit of a chat with him.

This is a warning to anyone with a Sony copy protected CD that they are wanting to put into a PC at any point. Make damn sure that autoplay is off, or you run the risk of fucking the machine royally. Thanks to Bast for bringing it to my attention in the first place (due to a warning email from her company IT dept), and then of course to Thrall for posting details on the PCF forum. This is what makes me support piracy more and more. Not that I wasn't a pirate beforehand. Arrr!

I never mentioned it at the time, but KoL had a disastrous database crash a week or so ago. And by 'crash' I mean 'the sysadmin dropped all the tables'. Yeah. Special. And, his backup procedures were insufficient. And by 'insufficient' I mean 'about half the stuff was last backup up on the 6th of September'. And yes, this happened at the end of October, almost two months later. My in-game worth has dropped to probably about 20% of what it was before the crash, and if I wasn't playing a particular game mode that made most of my items irrellevant, I would be a lot more upset than I am. As it is, I am confident that I will get all my important stuff back (if for no other reason than I know a lot of the high-ups personally), it will just take a while. I can't imagine how people who are playing a different game mode which would have allowed them access to their missing stuff must feel. The sysadmin was very clever, however, and quickly added a lot of new content, which I think will go a long way to stemming the tide of people leaving.

Current Song: Weezer - Buddy Holly. Doesn't that just bring back memories of Windows 95?
(Why do they gotta front?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam Fisher / fisher king said...

damn - that makes me super glad i stopped KoLing. ignoring the fact that i cleared up hours each day ;)

and of course, good times, bad times :) those were the days.

8:31 pm  
Blogger zenstar said...

on the sony rootkit front:
apparently it can be used to hide cheats from "the warden"
ie: hide cheats from blizzard.
ie: not get caught cheeting on world 'o warcraft.
don't have the link (found it off penny arcade's news) so search for it.
sony are releasing a patch though (don't know what it does at all).

btw: it still isn't a valid support for piracy.
just because sony is wrong does not make piracy right. in fact the "rootkit" has come about in a (fucking clumsy and stupid) attempt to curb piracy. if piracy weren't such an issue, the "rootkit" probably never would have been developed.

i don't really want to debate the moral whatsits of piracy... just pointing out that you can't really make a cogent arguement using that point (unless you use a hell of a lot of other points to back it up)

11:39 pm  
Blogger Synkronos said...

Who's making cogent arguments here? Certainly not me ;)

And, uh, like I say - just turn off autoplay.

2:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home